Did you know that your environment can affect your approach to work? If not, think back to when you couldn’t concentrate on work because it was too noisy or quiet. Or maybe it was just too comfortable. Yes, where you choose to work can affect your productivity.
And this greatly applies to freelancers. Why? Simply put, they are freelancers – independent workers free from the rigid rules of office work.
Many freelancers choose their homes or other comfortable locations to work from. However, that comfort may do more harm than good sometimes. So, if you’re facing this exact challenge, what should you do? Consider co-working spaces.
Yes, you read right. Co-working spaces can help improve your approach to work. Read on as this post discusses three ways co-working spaces do that.
3 Ways Co-working Spaces Affect Your Work Behavior
First, consider what happens in a co-working space: you’ll see various freelancers working on different projects. Though you’re sharing the same office space, everyone is invested in their work.
In such an environment, it’s hard not to make a move yourself. You won’t just sit and stare all day. You’ll also focus on your work. And the more that happens, the higher your productivity will become. This is the best influence a co-working space can have on your work attitude.
Time management and productivity go hand-in-hand. When you work from home, there’s a tendency for you to lose track of time. You may find yourself either working less (because you believe you have all the time to do your work later) or overworking (because you need to make up for any unnecessary breaks).
The former puts you behind deadlines, and the latter causes damage to your work-life balance. You may end up burnt out and not being as productive as you imagined. But working among others and in a structured environment may be what you need to strike a balance.
Back to your imagination: You’re in the same room as other freelancers. Some are in the same line of work as you are. Others are interested in what you do. You talk with other freelancers and see your work from a new perspective. That might be the spark of inspiration you need to improve your brand.
When you have new ideas and experiences, you’ll want to put them into practice ASAP. And this also adds to your productivity cycle. Furthermore, you never know, some freelancers might want to collaborate with you, giving you new business opportunities.
It’s clear to see how co-working spaces can improve your work life for the better. But to maximize these benefits, what should you do? Consider five helpful tips:
- Choose the right co-working space: Just joining any co-working space will not do. Sure, in general, they offer the same services. But you need to pay close attention to the pros and cons of the co-working space you’re deciding on. Some things to look out for when choosing a co-working space include the physical location, security, budget, and other amenities.
- Make a work schedule: Whether you choose to work from home, in co-working spaces, or traditional offices, you need to create a work schedule. That fact won’t change. An effective schedule tells you what to do and when for maximum productivity.
- Communicate with others: One of the best benefits of a co-working space is the networking opportunities it provides. But for that to happen, try to start a conversation with others in the space.
- Don’t forget to take breaks: Once again, it’s easy to lose track of time when working from home. But that danger does not disappear at co-working spaces. You may forget to take breaks and still burn out at the end of the day.
- Enjoy the environment: Only one person can tell how to maximize the benefits of their co-working space. And that is you. So, don’t get caught up by the change in environment. Be flexible and sociable. In short, enjoy the new work environment you’ve chosen.
Your environment influences your approach to work. That’s why many workers take the time to find their “ideal work environment.” For some, it’s their home. Others enjoy working in public places. Still, some make use of co-working spaces. It all comes down to your choice.
Interested? If yes, check out this post to discover some co-working spaces nearest to you in Abuja, Kaduna, and Lagos, Nigeria.